Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 2, 2008

YUM!

UPDATE!!! Oh my this was YUMMY. Next time I will add more corn and use less lettuce overall, I had a ton left over. Yum, Yum, Yum!

Several years ago I had this incredible grilled shrimp and black bean salad. Over the weekend I had NOTHING at the house except a package of frozen shrimp and some kidney beans. It got me to thinking about the wonderful, beach BBQ where the above mentioned dish was served and how much I wanted to try it again. Fast forward to about 15 minutes ago, me searching the web for a similar recipe and I found this. In order to stay on track with my meal plan I won't be having the tostada part.

I'll report back after I make it on Tuesday night. Bon Appetit

Grilled shrimp, corn and black bean tostada salad

For dressing
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3/4 cup olive oil
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeño chili (preferably red)
1 tablespoon ground cumin

For salad
3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
1 cup chopped green onions
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3/4 cup chopped red onion

6 cups shredded iceberg lettuce (about 1 head)
2 ears corn, husked
24 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled (tails left intact, deveined)

24 large tortilla chips
Additional chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Preparation

Make Dressing:
Place lime juice in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Mix in cilantro, jalapeño, and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Make Salad:
Combine tomatoes, beans, green onions, 3/4 cup cilantro and red onion in large bowl. (Dressing and salad can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover dressing and let stand at room temperature. Cover salad and refrigerate.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Mix lettuce into salad. Pour 1/4 cup dressing into small bowl. Reserve remainder for salad. Brush corn with dressing from small bowl. Grill corn until beginning to brown, turning often, about 5 minutes. Brush shrimp with dressing from small bowl and grill until opaque in center, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes.

Cut kernels from corn and add to salad. Toss salad with enough dressing to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Top with shrimp. Garnish with tortilla chips and additional cilantro, if desired.

No comments: